Once you have made the decision to sponsor, here are the next steps:
Fill out an application:
1. Assist the Candidate in filling out the application. The application can be found on this website under Applications.
2. Fill out the application in full (typing in the information on the form directly). Applications are often submitting with missing information or illegible. This delays the application process for everyone and could prevent the candidate from making the weekend.
3. Special medical information may be needed. (hurt back, can’t sit for long periods of time, etc.) Just add a note to the application when filling it out.
4. Ask your candidate if medication will be needed and communicate that clearly to the Pre-Via de Cristo Chair.
5. Print the application and have it signed by the applicant’s pastor, the applicant and the sponsor.
6. After obtaining all the information on the application, email it or take a readable picture to [email protected] You can also fax the form to 561-276-2769. (email is preferred). Having the form email speeds up the process.
7. Make sure you include any special diets (medical only) on the application. Remember it is your responsibility to provide food if there a special diet requirement or if there are food allergies the kitchen needs to be informed about. If the sponsor is not available to be in the kitchen, please have reunion brother/sister assist in preparing the special diet. When leaving food in the kitchen, please make sure the containers are well marked so the cooks know what is to be done and who will be preparing the meal. You will be sent special instructions if there are special diets (medically needed only)
Once you submit the application, the Sponsor should receive an email from the Pre-Via de Cristo Chair that your candidate is confirmed.
You must answer that email yes or no or your Candidate will not recieve an invitation.
Once the candidate has been accepted:
1. The sponsor should be collecting Palanca letters for the candidate from family and friends.
2. Explain to the candidate what to pack and not to bring electronic devices.
3. Arrange transportation to the send-off. Carry their luggage. Help them feel comfortable. Remember that you, as the sponsor, are setting the example of being Jesus with skin on.
4. Deliver Palanca letters before serenade begins on Saturday.
5. Be present on the weekend. Serve meals, prepare food, and pray in the Palanca Chapel.
6. Attend closing ceremony, and provide transportation home for your candidate.
After the Weekend:
1. Get the new Cursillista into a reunion group – the real purpose of the Via de Cristo weekend.
2. Get the candidate to the Team/Candidate post meeting after their weekend.
3. Bring your new cursillista to their Reunion Ultreya.
4. Remain active in your candidate’s spiritual growth.
5. The sponsor has an ongoing commitment to the candidate, until he or she is fully incorporated into his/her own Christian community.
How you sponsor your candidate is the guide they will use when they sponsor their own candidates in the future. This will greatly affect the growth and strength of Via de Cristo in years to come. It is a sacrificial service to Jesus, and our candidate, to take the time and effort to do all we can to sponsor them properly.